Thursday, February 21, 2013

How I Changed My Mind

For most of my life I had no idea that my problem was my mind.  I thought my mind was me and I believed everything I thought was correct.  No one had ever enlightened me that it's actually a dangerous thing to listen to your own mind; let alone believe it. 

I think there's a very good chance that an awful lot of people are like me, and they picked up the ideas from random sources when they were kids that play over and over in their heads.  As kids they had no ability to decide what to believe so they just believed everything. 

As I grew up I began to be suspicious that maybe some of the stuff I had been taught might not be true, but it wasn't until I got into recovery that I realized my thoughts were not the same thing as me and that a lot of what I thought wasn't true at all. 

It's a radical idea but I've come to believe that it really isn't possible to be absolutely sure of anything.  Since I am just one flawed human being on the face of the earth, and will only be on the earth for a tiny time, how could I know anything for sure?  Only God can know anything for sure.

So, I learned that the little bit of power that I have as a flawed human being would be best used to enjoy my life, make it the best life I can, and live from the heart so I can love myself and all the other flawed beings on the earth.  If I am confused about what action to take on any given day, asking what love would do will give me direction every time.

It's a challenge to remember the decision I made to live from the heart, so I have to take time in the morning to remember when I make my to-do list, again during the day, and again before I go to sleep.  I have a very different life since I changed my mind from believing random stuff to attempting to live from love.  I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Blog Archive