Friday, July 13, 2012

Okay! I Really Mean It This Time

For most of my life I was skinny except for a tiny while in my teens when I was addicted to grape pop and barbequed potato chips.  Until around 1957 when those came out I had never seen such things and I fell in love at once.  Of course, I soon was a lot rounder than the bony thing I had been before.  When I was 18 I started smoking and continued until I was 43.  By that time I was smoking five packs a day which is really hard.  I had to smoke in the shower, smoke a couple of times in the middle of the night.  It would be impossible now to smoke five packs a day and do anything else since there's no smoking almost everywhere.  Back then you could stilll smoke in college classes, in the movies, and on airplanes.  The haze of tobacco smoke was everywhere where I worked.  But I went to the doctor for a check up and he said that my heart was stopping for periods of time, probably due to my smoking, and that if I didn't quit in the next 30 days he was going to put me in the hospital where I would have to quit.  So I went to one of those "stop smoking classes" and quit.  It was hell.  I compensated by eating and promptly gained 60 pounds.

At first I was kind of happy about having curves for the first time in my life and I thought it was kind of funny that parts of me jiggled when I walked.  But soon I didn't like how I looked and went to Weight Watchers.  I learned what foods had how many calories in them and how to eat.  After a fierce battle with myself I lost almost all of the weight and kept it off for a couple of years.  Then I got a sit down job with a lot of stress and snacks in the office.  I promptly gained the weight back and have been fighting with it ever since. 

Now I'm back to square one.  I have high blood pressure and have had for several years.  I've managed to talk my doctor out of putting me on high blood pressure medications by promising to lose weight.  But recently I've been having dizzy spells and had to go to a new doctor who says he's not waiting for me to lose weight.  So I'm on blood pressure medication which also makes me dizzy.  So I really mean it this time - I went to Weight Watchers and am losing a little weight slowly.  I hate counting "points" so I'm eating a low carb diet (which includes regular exceptions).  I've lost about 5 pound in a month and a half.  I've got 25 more to go.  I really do mean it this time.

No comments:

Blog Archive