Sunday, May 01, 2011

Simple Abundance

Back in the last big recession when everybody was having to cut back (1995), Sarah Ban Breathnach wrote Simple Abundance, a book of daily readings for having abundance without money.  I remember buying it just because it spoke to me from the shelf at the book store, not knowing it was a big best seller.  I loved it and implemented a lot of the suggestions in it which improved my life a lot.  I got it out the other day because it's another big recession and I'm cutting back even more than I did in 1995.  I was amazed to find that I'm still doing a lot of the things she suggested. 

Today's reading was based on Thomas Gray's poem, "Elegy in a Country Churchyard" which points out that we're all going to die.  All the things we think are so important today, in the face of the truth that we're going to die and we don't know when, are not all that important.  What is important are the people in our lives and the beauty of the world.  On our death beds we're probably not going to worry that much over whether we were overweight, had a tidy house, etc., etc.  There's so much to enjoy in every day that I just overlook in my efforts to get everything done.  This idea fits in with Don Miguel Ruiz's idea of making every day a work of art.

No comments:

Blog Archive