Thursday, October 21, 2010

Prayer

When I first started talking to God again (I quit when I was 7 and God didn't answer), I asked for other people to change.  And that didn't happen.  Since I was pretty desperate and pretty convinced that the source of my unhappiness was the behavior of other people (I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this), I kept asking anyway.  Finally, the teaching of the program sunk in and I realized I was the one that needed to change - not because it was my fault but because the happiness and peace that come from living life on life's terms is not variable - it works all the time! 
I learned to be quiet and ask myself what I needed and then I asked God for that.  Often it was love, approval, companionship, sufficient money, health, rest and so forth.  The problem I had was that I had selected certain people to provide those things and they were not coming through.  My dear friend Joanie, kept reminding me that God was my source, not people.  God would see to it I had what I needed, even though I would not always have what I wanted.  And sure enough when I started noticing, I have always had what I needed - just not from the sources I expected it. 

Ahhh.  Peace.

No comments:

Blog Archive