Friday, November 20, 2009

You'll know you're old when....

...you say things like, "In my day people didn't...." I've got a rant like that and I am old. In my day it wasn't so popular to look for ways to take offense. Supposedly, when people criticize other people, it's because they want to feel "better than." Boy, our collective self-esteem must have sunk to new lows. Everywhere I go I see/hear people grumbling about someone else. So, what to do? Perhaps I will begin by quitting doing that myself. My self-esteem really is okay. I don't need to grumble about other people. All I get from that is the feeling that other people's behavior has control of me. Which is not true at all.

The other thing about "my day": In the 40s and 50s and 60s, which I guess would be "my day," African Americans were segregated, John Kennedy was assasinated, so was Martin Luther King, Jr., and Robert Kennedy. There was no Medicare and no Social Security. People died of starvation in our very own country. There was no public education for people with disabilities. My memory says that many other injustices existed too. So, my day wasn't better than today.

No comments:

Blog Archive