Friday, September 01, 2006

what does this mean?

As a person in a wheelchair I have lots of opportunities to notice how people react. Men run to help me load or unload my wheelchair in the car, but they're lousy at getting out of the way. In elevators I have to point out that if they don't move, I might run over their toes, whereas women cut me a wide berth. Women hold doors and try to help me up ramps. The interesting thing is that frequently they are women with canes, and I fear for their safety. I'm not sure whether these observations mean something about the difference between men and women as groups or not. Certainly a year of observations probably doesn't give me a real statistical sample but it might be close. I plan to keep on watching. I am sure that on the whole people are very helpful AND I think men just defend their space more than women do.

No comments:

Blog Archive